Lovin' Fall

This past week, I can't help but admire the stunning fall colors everywhere we go. Vibrant oranges, reds and yellows fill the trees, reminding me how much I love this season. Last Saturday we had a busy day planned - running a 5k in the morning followed by a BBQ and Mitch's 10 year reunion that night. It was a picture perfect fall day, comfortable temperatures and sunshine. We put Harper in her best track suit and tennies and headed for Como Park. The first 2 miles of the race went great, but as we looped around the lake for the second time - Harper started her screaming tantrum. Usually Mitch and I have no problem letting her whine a little, and since we knew the only thing she wanted was out of the stroller we should just let her go. I found it difficult to ignore the comments from the other racers. One little girl asked her Mom, "why is that baby so sad?" and I overheard another couple say "oh, poor baby!" At that point, we turned around and headed back to the Pavilion for the after race treats. We made our way back to the car with granola bars and a carmel apple and headed home to clean up and get ready for the BBQ.




The class of 2002 celebrated 10 years at Maple Tavern last Saturday night, and since it's so close to our house we had a few friends over before for a BBQ. It was a fun "pre-party" and we even cracked out the old yearbook before for old time sake. Harper went to bed right before we left, so Bob and Deb were left downstairs enjoying cable television. It was so much fun to catch up with Mitch's old classmates and friends of my own! I'm already looking forward to my 10 year next year!



After a late night Saturday, we spent most of the day Sunday lounging around the house. We stayed in our jammies longer than we probably should have, and took a couple naps throughout the day. Mitch spent most of his afternoon downstairs engulfed in football. After a lazy day, we ended our weekend with a trip to Don Pablos with Paul and Kody.

Monday we welcomed October, and Austin officially entered adulthood. It's insane to think he is already 18. It doesn't seem that long ago my parents were waking me up at 4am to go to the hospital to meet my baby brother. Being almost 10 years apart, I remember almost everything about Austin's childhood. I will never forget wearing my "Blossom" hat to the hospital that morning, and having several pictures taken that came back to haunt me (umm Mom, why did you let me do that?). Aust and I would watch hours and hours of Barney & Friends and sang along to all the songs. He ran around in the basement sporting his Tune Squad jersey dunking the ball on his Little Tikes basketball hoop while we watched Space Jam. He is also one of the only people I know who can recite almost any line from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Austin Powers: Goldmember and enjoys those movies as much as I do. Now he's 18 and a Senior in High School. Where oh where does the time go?

We celebrated with a birthday dinner at El Rodeo. I love their food, but always leave overly full. It's probably the pound of chips and salsa I eat before my chicken tacos arrive. The birthday boy even got a huge bowl of fried ice cream for dessert. Rarely is a dessert left on the table when the Schumer's are out to dinner, but everyone was so full and we still had cake at home we have to leave most of it behind. At dinner we gave Harper a lemon, in hopes to capture the cute sour face. Wrong. Turns out, she loves lemons - she ate the entire slice. She barely made a face at all, and kept taking bite after bite of the citrus. Crazy girl.

We headed back to my parents for gifts and DQ ice cream cake. He got a lot of fun things, and age appropriate items. Now he can turn in his own lottery tickets! I think he had a great 18th birthday, and is looking forward to exploring some of the new doors that are open to him now!

Lil' Austin






Mitch and I decided to cut the work day a little short tomorrow and head to the apple orchard for the afternoon. Most orchards have petting zoos, pumpkin patches, hayrides and other fun family activities - so I'm looking forward to bringing Harper. She is already in love with the Elmo pumpkin at my parents house, so tomorrow she'll get her very own pumpkin to bring home!


This weekend is full of races for the Helleen's. Saturday Harper is participating in her first race, the Diaper Dash. It's a part of Twin Cities Marathon weekend and she even gets a t-shirt and medal! Sunday I'm running the TC 10 Mile with 5 of my co-worker's. I haven't trained as much as I'd like, but I'm looking forward to the race. It's supposed to be terrific running weather, and I'm hoping the fall colors are still vibrant to distract me along the way. Ready or not, race weekend is here.

Until next time...
The Helleen's

Comments

Popular Posts