Black Friday

I would classify myself as a Black Friday veteran. It's a family tradition since I can remember. I was a little girl waking up entirely too early to go shopping with my Mom, Aunts and Grandma. We made sure we were at DeSoto Wal-Mart before the doors opened to get the best deals. Once I hit college, it got harder to make the regular family trip to Missouri for Thanksgiving. I started staying back in Minnesota and spending Thanksgiving with the Helleen's - but that didn't stop the Black Friday madness. I somehow convinced Mitch to wake up to go shopping with me, and it's been a new Helleen tradition ever since. We've also added people to our shopping group each year - the more the merrier right?

For those of you who don't know, our original due date was November 25th - which just happens to be Black Friday this year. I kept saying "Any child of mine will let me get my Black Friday fix in before she arrives - just give me until 9am." It's just one of those days I look forward to every year. It's pure chaos, and that's why I love it. I love the groups of women singing Christmas carols wearing reindeer ears and santa hats, the "Scrooges" of the world complaining that they have to wait in line, and crowds of people rushing the door when the stores open. We never have anything particular we're looking for. We typically buy ourselves TV seasons we find cheap and wrap them up for each other. The morning ends with everyone going out to breakfast to talk about our deals! Needless to say, I can't wait for 12am Friday!

With so many family traditions, we always look forward to this time of year. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving we have family and friends over to decorate t-shirts for the Family Fun Run. We start Thanksgiving morning off right running a 5K around Rice Lake. It's something we've done the last three years, and the number of participants keeps growing. Everyone comes back to our house where we enjoy breakfast and socialize. That night, we head to Helleen's for the Thanksgiving feast. This year, it's an even larger crowd since my parents are staying in Minnesota. We're having one giant group for dinner, and we can't wait. Who doesn't love a week full of family, friends and food?

As far as baby news goes, I'm 37 weeks (38 Friday) so I'm officially full term. We had our weekly appointment on Monday - with no new news. I'm still dilated at 1cm, and everything is measuring on target. I've been having a lot of baby dreams lately, some normal... others not so much. I catch myself daydreaming about what she'll look like. I just can't wait to meet this little girl!

A few years ago right after Mitch and I got engaged we went to Dave & Busters for Austin's birthday. They have this photobooth called the "Gene Machine" and I insisted we do it. We have held on to this picture for 3+ years, and let's just say I hope the "Gene Machine" isn't accurate. See our "beautiful" baby below, ha.


The Gene Machine - 3 Years Ago 

17 days to go! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble. 

Until next time...
The Helleen's

Comments

Popular Posts