Mindset

I would generally consider myself a positive person. I've learned in my 36 years that, for me, an optimistic mindset keeps me focused even if the circumstances are crummy. I do my best to come into each situation looking at all aspects to figure out my next steps before cruising right to panic mode. 

This week we were notified our kiddos were headed back to distance learning due to staffing shortages caused by sickness. My heart immediately sympathized with district employees, educators, parents, caregivers, and students at the sudden "pivot." I'm privileged to work for a flexible company that easily accommodates our family's altered schedule, but I know not all employers or professions can transition with ease and without worry during these shifts.

After a brief adult cry session (hello, have you met me?), my brain started reeling to find something good out of the situation to bring me out of my worrisome spiral. If you don't already know, I'm a chronic crier and worrier, so none of this is out of character.

First, I told myself a phrase I'm constantly repeating to our kiddos when they're faced with a situation they're not super jazzed about. The family mantra is, "If you go into the situation with a crummy attitude, you're going to have a crummy time!" Hearing my own words reminded me that Harper and Emmett will look at how we react to this change. The energy and vibe we bring to distance learning will ultimately form their views too. Our mindset is addictive, so gosh darn it, mine was going to be positive.

This morning, both kiddos got dressed and brushed their teeth like it was a normal school day. I went down into the office to start working and heard Harper in the kitchen making herself breakfast. Surprisingly, I could hear her asking her brother if he wanted something to eat too. She gave him a few options but settled on making him a toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which he scarfed. I nearly started crying onto my keyboard at the uncharacteristic act of kindness. Those two have been in battle mode for weeks, so it felt like the day was off to a good start.

The kiddo's teachers and school staff are incredible. Transparent communication, meeting links, and daily schedules were emailed to us the night before, and everything went smoothly throughout the day. Harper and I only had two baby battles (one including an exploded stress ball), and Emmett managed to complete all his assignments and homework before asking to play the Nintendo Switch. Overall, distance learning day one was pretty okay.


Right now, students are supposed to return to in-person learning on 1/24. The worrier in me fears it will be March of 2020 all over again, where we say two weeks, but we don't return to the building. But I repeat my mantra silently in my head and sometimes out loud when I need to hear it.


When I think about it, honestly, we are doing great. Mitch and I have jobs, food to put on the table, internet access so our kids can comfortably do distance learning from our home, a warm place to sleep, our health, and as cheesy as it is - each other. 


Stay safe and healthy, friends. Remember to be kind to yourself, and others too. Our attitudes are absorbed by those around us. 




Comments

Popular Posts