Family Tradition

There is nothing I cherish more than family time. Being able to share experiences and create memories together is my favorite things to do, hands down. Whether it's sticking to annual traditions or creating new adventures, we always manage to have a good time when we're together.

Last weekend was Maple Grove Days. I've expressed my love for city celebrations several times in the past, so it's no surprise this is one of my favorite weekends of the summer. Our fun started Thursday night at the parade. 

Parades are the strangest thing, aren't they? Hundreds of people lined up on the side of the road, waving to parade floats hoping to get a handful of candy or free stuff. As weird as they are, I still LOVE them. Since this is Harper and Emmett's 3rd parade in the last month, I now consider them professional parade patrons. Harper has the smile and hand wave down. She waved to all the city princesses, danced to the music coming from each float and conducted each marching band that passed. In the process she gathered a pile of candy, which she definitely didn't need. Maple Grove Days was off to a great start!

Friday after work we decided to officially start our weekend up at Town Green with the Choo Choo Bob show. We've visited the Choo Choo Bob store in St. Paul which Harper absolutely loved so I thought this might be a fun event for the whole family. Any event that includes music outside and a little ice cream is approved by this Mama. The four of us sat in the grass with the other families dancing and enjoying the beautiful night. 

Saturday is always the art fair, which is my favorite. Since I was in high school my Mom and I have made a tradition of shopping the fair. Once Harper and Emmett were born, we've added the kids events to our Saturday routine. The vendors this year were pretty typical. We didn't walk away with many purchases, but Harper did get a free mani. (She chose chartreuse and gold sparkles, by the way :) ) We watched a dance studio perform at the Town Green stage, where Harper was busy showing everyone her own moves. The lady next to us said to me, "she's even more entertaining to watch than the people on stage!" Welcome to my everyday life! 

We wandered up to the Community Center to see what they had to offer. I dug for quarters so Harper could feed the goats (which happen to be one of the creepiest animals ever, but that's a rant for another day.) She rode the scooters, enjoyed free ice cream and decided to get her hair spray painted before we headed home for naps. We had a blast continuing our traditions and made some new memories along the way.




 

Saturday night we debated whether or not to go to Maple Grove Days fireworks. Since they didn't start until 10pm, we decided that was a little too late for the kiddos. Instead we opted for the Hamel Rodeo. I love a good rodeo, it's something I grew up going to when I lived in Missouri. Mitch and I started our own tradition attending the Hamel Rodeo when we were in high school. Over a decade later we're bringing our own kids - how fun is that? 

We dropped Emmett off with Bob and Deb, since sitting in one area for 2 1/2 hours is tough for our busy 10-month old. That meant it was a Mama/Daddy date with Harper, something we haven't done since E's been a part of our family. 

A rodeo is the perfect excuse to pull out our cowboy boots, so both Harper and I were dressed appropriately. (I'm still working on Mitch!) Before the rodeo started, Harper got to ride a pony who had sparkly green hooves to match Harper's sparkly green nails. She was so excited about that! 

We laid our blankets on the hill and sat in the grass cheering on the cowboys and cowgirls. For the entire 2 hours Harper's eyes were locked on the rodeo ring. She cheered so loud after each event, and thought the clown was hilarious. I was shocked how much she was enjoying herself and I was so excited we have another rodeo lover in the family. Our tradition will continue for years to come and we'll just keep adding family members! 



This past Tuesday we celebrated my Mom's 53rd birthday. Family birthdays are a big deal to the Schumer's. The birthday boy or girl must chose a location for their celebratory dinner. Following dinner we head to someone house for cake, ice cream and gifts. It's the same routine for every family member.

For her 53rd, my Mom chose The Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner. Mitch was stuck playing softball, so the rest of us headed downtown Minneapolis for dinner. Any restaurant that offers some sort of noodle on their menu is approved by Harper. The girl would live off buttered noodles and parmesan cheese if we let her. It was fun having all of us together, but we sure missed Mitch. 

Afterwards we went back to my parents for carrot cake, ice cream and presents. Harper offered (or demanded) to help my Mom blow out the candles and to open presents. By the end of the night I was stuffed, but it was a great time celebrating my wonderful Mama.  

 


We're enjoying a low key, plan-free weekend - which I will admit, feels wonderful. I may even take advantage of both kids sleeping and take a little snooze myself, but I know as soon as I close my eyes - one kiddo will be awake. Oh the joys of parenthood! :)

Until next time…
The Helleens

Comments

Popular Posts